Wednesday 23 October 2024

Brad Anderson's Lunch Break s7 e2 Jeff Teper, CVP, Office

(car engine) - It's lunchtime, and this is Brad Anderson's lunch break. (happy music) Two of my favorite things about Microsoft, are the smart people that constantly visit campus, and the great fleet of shuttles. Wherever I can I try to take advantage of both of these things, and grab lunch with some of the tech industry's best and brightest. (happy music) Today, I'll finish up my conversation with Jeff Teper, the creator of SharePoint. (happy music) (engine revving) I was thinking about a lot of the things that you and I have done together. About five years ago I remember sending you a mail. I was like, "Jeff, hey this whole thing with non-Windows devices, we gotta' do some work together here. You know, I've got this management stuff I'm working on. There's things you're working on. Let's get together and let's, - Yeah. - Let's get a plan for how productivity and management come together. You remember when you forwarded that message to Rajesh, what Rajesh said? - Yeah. - I can still remember your exact comment was, "Brad's a Windows guy." You remember this? - I do, I do. - Yes, I'm sorry I was a little snippy that meeting, but I was, you know, "Why am I talking to Brad?" - He said, "No, Brad's a Windows guy." - Yeah. - And I said, "No, Brad's a business guy. "Brad wants to build the product "that customers want." You had a set of competitors or alternatives that had a pretty crappy set of productivity, apps. - apps. - And we had competitors that didn't really have the manageability, and so besides being the thing our customers wanted, it was sort of a win-win. - [Brad] Okay so we're gonna' play a game called This or That. - Sure. - So I'm gonna' give you a couple of descriptions, and I'm gonna' give you a phrase or a word and you're gonna' tell me, is it this, is it that, or is it both. - [Jeff] Okay. - Okay, the two terms we're gonna' work with are Malware, or am I talking about Minecraft. So Malware or Minecraft. - Malware or Minecraft, okay. - Way too many people in your workforce have it running in the background. - Uh, Minecraft. - Your kids probably downloaded it on your phone when you weren't looking. - Malware. I answered both those wrong. They both could be right, but. - Millions of people all over the world are working on it right now. - Uh, Malware. - At least it gets kids interested in technology. - Minecraft. - [Brad] (laughs) Okay, it's both, could be. - That could be bumped. - There's a huge secondary economy for people who are good at building it. - Oh, well that's, gosh. I have to pick one? - I heard that your first job in the software industry was writing what, a vehicle simulator when you were 14? - Oh, yeah yeah yeah, wow! Yeah, wow, you really did dig deep. (laughter) So my Dad was a aerospace engineer, and he had these algorithms for vehicle simulation that he'd done in Fortran, in a PDP-11. And he did some work on the side from the company he worked with, and I think he probably charged himself out a hundred dollars an hour, and he paid me like $7 an hour to port the Fortran from the PDP-11 to the TRS-80 Model III. - Oh my word! - And Fortran, whatever it was, Fortran IV or Fortran 77. - Yep. - And so I'd never, I had no idea what these algorithms did. I didn't know what the outputs they were supposed to do. But there were some subtle differences, as there always are in compilers, with your data types and so forth, where I had to run it on the PDP-11, I had to run it on the TRS-80 Model III, and make sure that I guess, the car didn't crash. - And this is at 14? - Yeah, yeah. - Wow. - There's a ton of upper level math involved with all that movement. - Yes, matrix algebra. - You don't-- - I didn't really understand it. - Just little stuff like that. - I got it correct, my Dad fixed a couple of bugs, but he did pay me, so I assume that must mean that I did do it. - Well, 7 bucks an hour. - When you and I were 14, you know what, - Yeah. - I was delivering newspapers - Yes. - When I was 14, making a buck an hour. - Yeah. - Fun stat for you, we've had a quarter billion downloads of OneDrive on iOS and Android. And the-- - Quarter billion. - The Google Play store, which is of course the biggest store, 'cuz they have the most mobile devices. - devices. - [Jeff] But 800,000 people rated us 4.4 rating, higher than the home team - Awesome. - of Google Drive on that device, which we're really proud of. It's been really great to see, and I think the things that people like about OneDrive are the rich collaboration capabilities with Office. - Oh yeah, yeah. - We're starting to do unique things with intelligence. - You know, what you and I have talked about is, how do we build this in a way that is loved by users and trusted by IT, - Yeah, yeah yeah. - and nail them both, - That's a tricky thing. - Is actually really hard. - Yeah, and our teams, and this is good, our teams fight sometimes so our users and IT departments don't have to. Because we will push each other, - Correct. - And we'll say, "Brad, this dialogue that came up, "We gotta' do something about it." - I know exactly what you're talking about. - And you say, "Yeah, but if we just blow past it, "here's the risk that you're," And that challenge that we do on each other leads to, I think, some of our best work where we balance usability and security. (happy music) - [Brad] Well Jeff, let's make sure we make this a regular occasion, so you know-- - Yeah, glad to do it. - I know you've gotta' pick other people up in the shuttle a lot, you know, don't quit your day job. - Alright man, - Sounds great, - Good to see you. - Bye! - Alright, take care now. - See you buddy. - Next time, on Brad Anderson's Lunch Break. - Four of five years ago, I was at a function. I was introduced to an elected member of Parliament in New Zealand. And someone introduced me as a Global Cloud Expert. And this dude said, without a word of lie, "Oh, you study the weather do you?" (happy music)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Building Bots Part 1

it's about time we did a toolbox episode on BOTS hi welcome to visual studio toolbox I'm your host Robert green and jo...