Monday 21 October 2024

02 Tabs Color

I have uh my code base here I got a bunch of files open but I can't really see how many how many files do I have open and you know I don't really know I can only see what whatever my screen resolution allows me to see how wide the screen is and that's why we always have had this little thing up here you can click next to the tabs and if you click that now notice how you can see the list of open files there are some that are grayed out and italics those are the ones that are not visible right now and then we have the ones that just look kind of normal those are the ones you see and the one in bold is the one that's currently active sometimes I kind of just want to see everything all the time so if I go to the settings icon I can now say show tabs in multiple rows and what's really nice here is that if you have the screen real estate if you have the vertical space you can now stack all these tabs so you can see everything that's open but there are some monitors you know that are extra wide for instance and in those it would be kind of nice if we can take our Taps and instead of having them on top then move them to the side where we have more space so again go into settings and click on Place tabs on the left it's really nice I can resize this to whatever I want but let's see what else we can do here because I have all these open documents and you can see by default they are sorted by the project they belong to and they're all listed under each of those projects take it one step further here what if we colorize these documents per project so now each tab has the same color if it belongs to the same project and that makes it even easier for me to kind of at a glance see where these files belong if we don't want it per project because I already group my task for project here like instead we could do it by file extension so that's also very handy so I can see all my racer files all my c-sharp files all my JavaScript files we can also go ahead and say let's do it by regular expression let's configure the regular Expressions it's a file here that opens up and I can start typing and let's say we want to do CSS and as soon as I save the file we can see the CSS file has now got updated with the color we have Razer and we can even take it further we can say you know everything that contains the word you know category let's say everything that has the word will be colorized so you can really customize how you colorize these tabs and of course if you move back up and use the tabs on the top they maintain their colors I kind of like to do per project when I have the tabs up top because in this case they're not grouped by a project and so having them polarized by project is my preference yours might be different but I really enjoy this

No comments:

Post a Comment

ASP.NET Core 2.2

hi my name is Glenn Condren I'm a program manager on the asp.net team and today we're going to talk about some of the ...