Monday 21 October 2024

07 Fresh Car Smell

so this is my default this is what I always do it's a little performance trick if you like the fresh car smell I want to switch over to a different project notice how how when I open it up here all the files that were opened before are now open again and in my solution Explorer I can see that all my folders and projects have all been expanded to the same levels that they were last time I used this project and that's all good that means that I can get right back into where I left off but very often this is not what I want very often I come in I open the project in the morning to start working on on something and I don't want sort of yesterday's state to be expanded into Visual Studio I want something clean I want something fresh I want that fresh car smell none of this open but I want to be able to open my my app and work with it so I'm going to show you a couple of settings that are really really helpful so if you go to tools options and then go to projects and solutions so reopen documents on solution load I'm going to uncheck that and restore solution Explorer project Key State on solution load I'm going to uncheck that as well so now let's open this project again that we had before I'm going to switch again and first of all I don't know if you notice this but it's instant the loading of these projects are now instant because no other files have to be opened no state had to be read from disk and hydrated into memory on the UI thread in Visual Studio to expand all the tree notes in solution Explorer none of that was necessary when you open a file let's say you open a c-sharp file if it's the first time you open a c-sharp file in that instance of Visual Studio that you've got open then it has to boot up all of Rosslyn and everything to get intellisense and colorization and all that working and that's called a language service and a language service can sometimes take a little while to load it's not necessarily a long time but it's not instant

No comments:

Post a Comment

ASP.NET Core 2.2

hi my name is Glenn Condren I'm a program manager on the asp.net team and today we're going to talk about some of the ...