Wednesday 23 October 2024

Brad Anderson's Lunch Break s9 e6 Mark Gregory, CIO & EVP, Premera Blue Cross

- It's lunch time and this is Brad Anderson's Lunch Break. Here in Redmond we're visited by some of the smartest people on the planet. Pretty much every day. Every chance I get I meet up with them for lunch. (upbeat music) Today I talked to a very smart guy who gets his hair cut at the same place I do. Mark Gregory the CIO of Premera Blue Cross. So you're here from Premara - Yeah - located right here in Seattle. You guys are the biggest provider of insurance in the Northwest. - Yeah. - I didn't realize this but Premera is 85 years old. So what's it like working for a company like that, has these incredibly old roots and history and culture going through the digital transformation. - The history is great. Companies that have been around a long time like Premera, our challenge is to take care of all the technology that got us where we are. - Mm-hmm. - But also advance it and get prepared for the future. There's four basic problems we see in health care. The first one is, I don't get the care I need. Second one is I get care I don't need. - Yeah. - Which is waste but also - Well it's time - Can be dangerous. - Sure exactly. - Right. The third one is really around value. I pay a lot, do I really get value for what I pay? And the fourth one, Brad, is experience right. So how many times have you had a bad experience with health care of some type? Part of what we try to do at Premera and how we leverage technology is to solve those four issues. - So how do you use some of the technology that address those four concerns? - We sit on large quantities of data. - Yeah. - Right? So, if I can or we collectively at Premera can engage the customer with tools that let them see their options right. Where can they get the best value for their healthcare dollar? Where can they go to get the best health care outcome? Right? And that all comes through data and engagement tools to help them solve that problem. Also on our side, how do we help lead them there? - Not only do we have the same haircut, (laughs) but we also share, you know we have names that are fairly common. So I did a search on LinkedIn and there were multiple Mark Gregorys that I found. - Right. - So let's play "Which one are you?" - Okay. (laughs) - Do you play keyboard in the band Hot Tub? - I do not. - Back in the early 2000 did you own a small chain of Pizza restaurants in Alaska? - I did not. - Did you have a role in the movie Adam and Eve, Meet the Cannibals? - Oh man, no. I wish I did though. Didn't that sound like a great experience? - Seriously right? - I'm tellin' you man, there is a lot more interesting Mark Gregorys out there than me clearly. - Next time on Brad Anderson's Lunch Break - When we introduced Cloud to the organization we did not introduce it as a cost play. We introduced it as a value play. - Yeah, yeah. - Really, right? So how quickly can I bring up the capabilities that move the organization forward. I wanna bring it up lighter, quicker, faster. And then I want more options with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Building Bots Part 1

it's about time we did a toolbox episode on BOTS hi welcome to visual studio toolbox I'm your host Robert green and jo...