Wednesday 23 October 2024

Brad Anderson's Lunch Break s7 e1 Jeff Teper, CVP, Office

- [Brad] It's lunchtime, and this is Brad Anderson's lunch break. Two of my favorite things about Microsoft are the smart people that constantly visit campus, and the great fleet of shuttles. Wherever I can, I try to take advantage of both of these things, and grab lunch with some of the tech industry's best and brightest. Today I'm eating out with my good friend, Jeff Teper, the father of SharePoint, and an expert guitarist. (lighthearted music) (piano music) - What, do you have to supplement your income? You're driving the company shuttle now, dude? Did you have to take a test to know how to get from building, one building to the next on campus before they... - I think about, the person I have probably spent the most time with in my 14 years from office, and honestly it's you. - I'm sorry - I can remember back in 2003 when I joined, one of the first things that I did was reach out to you because here, SharePoint was the fastest growing product in the history of Microsoft. So I wanted to reach out to you and yell, "Hey, tell me about Microsoft, how does this all work?" - Yeah I remember that. - I read this article and it talked about Jeff Teper, the father of SharePoint. - Oh god. - What is it like to be the father of SharePoint, and tell me about the frame that you bought to put that article in. - Obviously it's a little bit weird 'cause a ton of people work on the product and I don't know if you know the origin story. There was this product we worked on called Site Server where the product unit managers were me and a couple other guys you might know of, Terry Myerson and Satya Nadella. Well, out of the ashes of that thing it all sort of worked out. And so we took a team and wanted to focus on the intranet, and then there were some existing teams in office you know, the front page team, couple other teams, we sort of eventually brought them all together, re-wrote them in the second version on .net, and that's really when it took off. - [Brad] And I think the one time you actually described this as this great success was born from this great failure. - Yeah, I had the luxury of making quite a few mistakes on that first project, on the Site Server error and that the company was very forgiving. - Hey, so I heard an interesting story about when you went and pitched, was it Bill and Steve on the idea of SharePoint? - Yeah - Tell us about that meeting, did you sleep the night before that? - I sort of really obsessed about can you make the message really simple. And so I had this four box diagram, folks got the strategy. Bill had all sorts of feedback on the technical details. Steve wanted to make sure he got the messaging was super simple. Both of their respective feedback and demanding tone and delivery helped us all along. - Inspiring. - I wouldn't say it's fun, that I would love to relive that meeting, but it was actually good to be pressed on the technical rigger and the simplicity of the Goda Market. - So SharePoint is this incredible way for people to collaborate and share data right? But how good are you at sharing? Tell me about some of these things you'd be able to share on. First one, a water bottle. - With people that I trusted I'd be fine with that. If you're out on a hike with your buddies and they offer you a water bottle you don't rub that off with your sleeve. (laughter) - Okay, next thing. Would you share ear buds? - Yeah, oh absolutely. - Alright, chapstick? - That one is a little tougher. That, I would probably, without the other person looking scrape the top off. (laughter) - I've done that before. How about pants? - If they fit, I wouldn't have a problem with that. - Alright, how about a pizza? Ian and I do this all the time. - Oh yeah, absolutely. - How about a slice of pizza? - With my wife. - [Brad] I defile your feelings. - It would depend on the feelings, and the person. - When you went to name SharePoint what were the other names you considered? - Oh god, we hired a naming firm. We threw, like 20 names on the wall, and some of them were very literal, like Microsoft Content Server. - That sounds like a Microsoft name. - I don't even remember the fanciful names that were sort of made up, fake words. I knew then knowledge management, internet, category was gonna evolve, and if we were too literal like Document Server, it would be too constraining. And when they shared up SharePoint there I thought, "Oh, well that's great!" We're a point where people share information and because we had that whole PowerPoint was one of our best known assets, people would look at that name and say "Oh, of course that's important in Microsoft's product line. "They've named it in a consistent way that one of their core apps" - So was tee-per-nan on that list? Or tee-fer-twank? - Uh no, 'Jeff's Bucket of Docs' was the one that we you know, talked about. (laughter) - [Brad] Next time, on Brad Anderson's Lunch Break. There's a ton of upper level math involved with all that movement. - Yes! Matrix Algebra. I didn't really understand it. I got it correct, my dad fixed a couple of bugs. Our teams fight sometimes, so our users in IT Departments don't have to because we will push each other. - Correct (lighthearted music)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Building Bots Part 1

it's about time we did a toolbox episode on BOTS hi welcome to visual studio toolbox I'm your host Robert green and jo...